- 1 in 5 households are overspending on housing – in 2014 that was 86,750 households.
- In 2014 over 15,000 households were at high risk of becoming homeless, spending more than 50% of before-tax income on shelter and earning less than $20,000 per year.
- At the last count in October 2014, over 3,500 people were experiencing homelessness.
- Providing a home saves taxpayers approximately $34,000 per person annually.
- Only 9% of below market homes in Calgary are in buildings that were constructed in the last 20 years.
- Federal Government operating agreements that fund social housing properties will start expiring in 2021.
Opening Doors 2017:
CHAC newsletter archive:
Opening Doors National Housing Day Conference 2017 program and presentation materials: